Homemade Granola with Mealworms
- 300 grams of oats
- 100 grams of nuts (any mix of nuts you like)
- 50 grams of seeds (line, chia and sunflower)
- A handful of mealworms
- A handful of coconut flakes
- 100ml of Agave syrup
- 2 spoons of sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Two pinches of of salt
- Pre-heat the over to 150 degrees
- Chop the nuts in small pieces
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a big bowl
- Mix oil and syrup in a separate bowl and add slowly to the dry ingredients
- Make sure the mealworms are mixed in well - if they're out in the open on top they easily burn
- Equally distribute the mix on a baking sheet in a baking tray
- Let that bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes
- Take the tray out, let it cool until hard, and then break it into granola chunks of your favorite size
- Store in a dry container and enjoy your homemade brekky for days!
Brekkie might just be our favorite dish of the day. We love to kickstart our day in the best way possible and always make sure to have a big range of additions to our oats in the morning to spice it up. And even though we normally use oats, we absolutely love a good granola. The crunchy texture and the flavour adds to any morning bowl of awesomenss. The problem? Most granolas you can get your hands on in the regular supermarkets are full of (added) sugar and thus unfortunately not as healthy.
So we decided to do our own crunchy, sweet, flavourful, and even protein-rich granola that is healthy and a wonderful addition to any brekkie bowl. Without any form of sugar or syrup you don't get very far in getting a nice and crunchy layer of granola, but we have kept it to a minimum! Chop up any nut mix from the supermarket or your own collection at hand, throw everything together on a sheet of baking paper in a baking tray and let the oven do the work.
Yes, it is not as quick as adding some boiling water to oats in the morning, but spend 15 minutes (of actual work) of your lazy Sunday to make an entire batch of granola for the next week.